This is an awesome custard recipe from Brandi
3/4 tsp baking powder
3.75 Oz AP flour
1/2 vanilla bean
2 large eggs
1/4 tsp kosher salt
6 Oz sugar
1 lbs 2 Oz chopped apples
4 Oz unsalted melted butter
3 TBSP apple cider
Unrefined sugar for sprinkling
[NB:1 Oz= 28.35g]
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Butter an 8-inch springform cake pan and line it with parchment paper. Sprinkle unrefined sugar on the sides of the pan and tap it around
- Whisk the flour, baking powder, and salt together in a bowl
- In a medium bowl, beat the eggs with a whisk until they’re foamy. Rub the vanilla bean seeds into the sugar and add to the eggs. Blend well
- Whisk in the apple cider, half the flour blend well
- Add half the melted butter and the remaining flour and butter. Mix gently after each addition so that you have a smooth, rather thick batter.
- Fold in the apples, so that it’s coated with batter. Scrape the mixture into the pan and poke it around a little with the spatula so that it’s even. Sprinkle the top of the cake with unrefined sugar.
- Slide the pan into the oven and bake for 50 to 60 minutes, or until the top of the cake is golden brown and a knife inserted deep into the center comes out clean. Transfer to a cooling rack and let rest for 30 minutes.
- Wait until the cake is cooled, then carefully remove the cake from the pan & serve it.